Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Played: I Got Schooled

Social experiments are so much fun, until you become the subject. 

I had an interesting meeting with an insurance inspector this week.  I learned a couple of things about insurance liability, but that is not important.  This guy talked so fast I never even got his name.  He was very matter of fact, loud voice, fast paced . . . yeah, he was a typical clerk in a fast food joint in Chicago.  We walked the property together and he bounced around like one of those rubber balls with a string and a paddle.  Needless to say, I lost interest in this character pretty fast.  My answers became short and direct.  The sooner we get this over with, the sooner I can get on to more important things.

We went inside the building to look around.  While he checked the usual emergency lights and bathroom fixtures I decided to check my Blackberry.  I can still answer his varied questions while checking the latest emails.  Right when I was looking at my phone is when he did it.  He spoke softly.  He changed his demeanor into a gentle approach, leaned toward me, and spoke softly and clearly.  I immediately snapped to attention, put my phone away, and answer his questions.  We both even smiled at each other. 

Sometimes, it only takes that change up in attitude to get someone’s attention.  No one likes stern, aggressive, matter of fact demeanors.  When approached with loud noisy people or things, we tend to start to tune them out.  This is true of the loud person or the rattling car trunk near us in traffic.  We direct our focus toward other less obnoxious things.  However, when a person changes up to a gentler softer approach we immediately respond with a more pleasant attentive attitude. 

This is a lesson I learned a long time ago about attitudes and responses.  Yet, I played right into his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment