Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lent Day 28

Weathering the storm.  Literally, there were some hefty storms that passed through our area during the night early this morning.  People in many surrounding counties awoke to debris filled yards and no electricity.  It was on the news and people were calling each other.  I had friends that attempted to warn me of the tornado warning at 4:40 in the morning.  Little did they realize that I have been exhausted lately and slept right through the notifications.  Of course, I do remember hearing some seriously close thunder. 

My family and I were very fortunate.  We were safe and secure.  Upon examination, I had one tree limb that came down in the yard.  I noticed how the community comes together instantly in a moment of crisis.  By the time I took the boys to school, I had been hearing from multiple friends checking on me.  I noticed that many trees and debris had been removed from the roadways already.  There were guys in pick up trucks with chainsaws, the Asplundt guys were in full force, and even the inmates were out picking up debris.  This must be the Bible belt of America.  God has surely blessed me and the people in this community.

Today started off with a literal storm, but quickly turned into sunshine, albeit it also turned cold.  My day at work had some storms as well.  It was just going to be a stormy day.  Regardless of the problems, I held my spirits high.  Even after all of the aggravating things today, I left for home late this evening feeling really good about the success of the day.  I work with a team of great guys that pulled together and accomplished a significant feat.  We worked very well together, had an enjoyable time, and did something that not one of us could have done alone.  It took a team of good guys.

It gets later and later trying to get some exercise in.  Even though I have a 5K coming up in a week and a half, I really don’t want to go outside in the cold dark night.  I sweat at work today; shouldn’t that count?  However, a little success can go a long way.  I exceeded my weight loss goal for the Lent period today and I felt really good about it.  Therefore, I said prayers with the boys, talked to my wife for a while, and then started doing my exercises.  I started with 40 sit ups and 40 push ups.  I am not sure why these sets of 40 have not gotten any easier.  That last one is so difficult.  Then I went outside and started jogging . . . with those dreaded 5 pounds dumbbells.  Monte and Molly have some new squeaky toys.  They noticed I had something in my hand so they wanted the same.  They grabbed their squeaky toys and ran all over the yard with me.  It was really cute how they wanted to mimic me.  However, my 5 pound weights quickly turn into 25 pounders after a few laps. 

I feel that no matter what the storm is, literal, mental, emotional, or physical, God has chosen to bless me.  He has given me the strength and endurance to find success through any of life’s difficult times.  In return, I have chosen to remain stoic in my dedication to Him.  I am very thankful for the blessings God has given me in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment