Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lent Day 42

New Goals.  I suppose I am becoming a middle aged guy with all of the inward observations about my life.  One thing I had a hard time with a few years ago was my accomplishments.  I had foolishly thought I already accomplished all of my life time goals.  I had the beautiful wife, kids, home, cars, career, and above all, I had accomplished the American Dream.  I even had the American Corvette.  I asked myself, what will I do now that I reached my goals?  Duh!  I make new goals and push myself harder.

The problem with reaching our goals is that we tend to reward ourselves too easily.  We forget how much effort we had to put forth to obtain that level of success.  If we lose two pounds, then we eat a cheeseburger and fries only to get discouraged the next morning when we step on the scale.  If we get that bonus check from the boss for doing a good job, we go out and spend it frivolously only to find we over spent our budget.  A little hard earned success can inspire us to stay motivated.  Too much easy success will be taken for granted and lead to our failure.  This is true by nature just from living in America but that is another blog for after Easter.

Instead of rewarding myself, I choose to push myself harder.  As if giving up laziness, eating late at night, sweets, fried foods, bread, soft drinks, cigarettes, and alcohol isn’t hard enough, last night I mentioned not giving a full 100% effort at anything.  Tonight I was really inspired to go out there and see how fast I could run the 5K.  I ran the full dirt road path that I have been doing with as much speed as I could maintain.  I beat my record at home time with 29:11.  Can I keep beating my own time through Easter?

Pushing myself harder has me thinking about another topic: the submissive, passive Christian personality trait.  Some people have it in their mind that Christians are not fighters because of this trait.  It is not because I am a Christian that I have never been in a fist fight; that is because I am smarter than any adversary to cross my path.  However, it is because I believe in America and Judeo-Christian values that I would defend my country, family, and freedoms with everything I have.  It is through God that I am strengthened and will be victorious in any battle that comes my way.  If that means I have to punch someone out, then so be it. 

The 5K last Saturday wasn’t the finish line and Easter will not be either.  God’s love and grace will continue past any 40 day period.  The period of Lent is intended to get us back in tune with God and remind us of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us.  This is a period of spiritual and physical cleansing.  It would be a shame to consider Easter a finish line.  The reward for all of the hard work will come later.  I feel the reward everyday with my blessed life.

No comments:

Post a Comment