Friday, April 15, 2011

Lent Day 38

Change of pace.  Sometimes we need to do things differently to break up the monotony of things.  Regardless of how good or bad anything is, everything must be in moderation; not too much and not to little of anything.  This includes chocolate cake, lasagna, time spent on the computer, work, playtime, and yes, it even includes running.

Tomorrow morning is the 5K race.  Considering that it is early in the morning, I didn’t want to run tonight and wear myself out, but I have to do some exercise.  I finally got outside and went into the garage to retrieve my special exercise equipment: my jump rope.  There is a story here.  About a dozen years ago, I had decided I was going to get into shape.  Yes, I have been out of shape for a long time.  My new bride and I went shopping where I purchased a very nice leather jump rope.  It was a good one with cushion grip weighted handles.  Of all the purchases I have ever made, I have always been very defensive of this item.  I suppose it is because it sat next to the computer monitor for a few years when Christy decided she was tired of seeing it.  She had gotten on to me for purchasing this thing that was so expensive that I will never use.  I assured her that I would use it, but . . . (yes, I have been making excuses for a long time too).  I might grab it and go outside for a minute and come right back in huffing.  I would then place it somewhere else so that she wouldn’t get on to me about it.  I can tell you one thing for certain; a decade plus later and I have always known exactly where that thing is located.

So tonight I get that jump rope, the five pound dumb bells, and my gloves out of the garage.  I slip on the gloves and do some “air boxing” with the dumbbells in my hands.  Oh boy, I better be careful not to throw my back out with those.  I put them down and grab that jump rope.  Sure, I can jump rope for a few minutes, then do push ups and sit ups and repeat.  This will be easy.  Wrong.  I stretched out that old leather jump rope and make sure it was pliable and not going to break.  I start off really well with a steady double skip.  I can go faster.  In fact, I can make that thing whistle through the air.  It made it “whiz” as it went by.  Then it happened . . . I tripped on it with my right foot, and it made a snapping sound!  That thing whipped my left arm so hard I screamed like a girl for a split second.  Holy moly that hurt!  Not to mention the fact that I was stumbling from the trip.  The rope was fine but my arm was stinging!  I picked it back up and tried again; this time I was a little wiser.  Ok, I think I made it about 3 minutes before I felt like passing out.  This thing is not a toy; it is made for hard exercise!  Back in the garage right where I will know where it is . . . no where that anyone else will have to see it.

It is time to go say my prayers and get ready for that run tomorrow morning.  Regardless of how well I do, I will be sure to invite God along with me.  It was my dedication to God through Lent that allowed me to get to this point.  My reward for the dedication is the ability to participate in such an event.

No comments:

Post a Comment