Monday, April 11, 2011

Lent Day 34

Just an average long Monday.  Mondays have been difficult and long for me lately.  I think it’s because I play too hard on the weekends.  I end up going to work to make my mind do all the work while my body catches up on needed physical rest.  Therefore, by the time I get home, I don’t really feel like doing anything mentally or physically.

We got home really late tonight.  Tyler’s team lost and the coach was really upset.  A few of the kids noticed and became discouraged as well.  The coach yelled at them for a while and even made them run laps back and forth.  Now, I am not a fan of paying a lot of money to let grown men take out there aggression toward my kid.  However, on the way home, Tyler said the best part of the night was when they got to run laps.  The second best part was when he hit that ball.  He was tagged out before he got to first base, but it was cool to him just to hit the ball.  He had no clue how upset the coach was and sometimes, it’s a good thing he doesn’t always pay attention.  Tyler had a good time, and I am very proud of him. 

As a Dad, I have mixed feelings about this.  I get frustrated with the yelling, poor sportsmanship, and too much competition.  At the same time, I know neither of my boys will play professional ball and this is their time to have fun . . . and they are having fun.  I can only hope that I am setting a positive Christian example for them. 

When I finally got dressed for exercising it was dark.  Around the yard I go.  I used my BB GPS Runtastic Application and started running back and forth in the road out front and around back.  That map looked like a 2 years olds plate of spaghetti.  I stopped a few times to do push ups.  I did a total of 100 push ups tonight.  That’s the most since early college days.  They sure were easier back then.  I ran in the new shoes with a good pair of socks and a band aid on the big toe.  It still hurt, but it was bearable.  I don’t want to give it away who made the shoes, but I’m thinking about writing New Balance a letter about their model 475 running shoes.   

The thing about having a long Monday is that I didn’t want to go out and exercise.  With an injured toe, I really didn’t feel like running.  During the process tonight, I would walk a lot more than usual.  My thought was, just keep moving.  It doesn’t matter what you do Ben.  Just keep moving.  I was sure when I started this Lent process that some days would be better than others and some days, I wouldn’t want to do it at all.  I know this; I made a promise to God and myself to exercise in some way every day, and I will remain a man of my word. 

Molly had no idea what she was signing up for.  Monte had figured out that I run back and forth.  He decided to sit in the middle near the porch and say hello as I go by.  Molly is so loyal and does everything she can to stay by my side for those occasional times that I will stoop down, pet her, and say a kind word.  I think it’s like that with God.  He will stay right with us just for those occasional times that we stop and say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment