Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lent Day 37

Inspiration.  We find inspiration in a variety of ways.  It could come from that thing we read, that speech we listened to, that situation we heard about, or that person who set a great example as a role model.  Regardless of what, who, or how we get inspired, we feel energized to strive toward our goals.    

Whether I like it or not, I have certain roles in my life that put me into a position where I have to inspire others.  As a boss, I have to keep the employees motivated.  Fortunately, I have a good group of employees that only need minor adjustments to stay focused.  I have learned the lessons about motivating with an iron fist versus inspiring with rewards and kindness.  It turns out the best method is not about me as a leader but rather the employee’s response to varying methods.  The good leader simply needs to know how to be versatile enough to inspire each employee. 

As a Dad, I have to motivate the boys to do things they don’t want to do; such as wash with soap instead of simply standing under the water for a half hour.  We expect so much of our kids and even demand that they do things like eat their vegetables, brush their teeth, or do their homework.  Just like with employees, I have learned that the best method depends on whichever one they will respond to with the best results . . . sometimes varying upon how much sleep they have had. 

There is one big difference between motivating employees and children (though they can be hard to tell apart sometimes).  Employees don’t need the boss to do the same job such as build that wall, paint that room, handle that client, or make that sale.  They know that is their job.  Conversely, children need that extra instruction that may require a “hands on” approach.  Most importantly, children need that good example / role model.  That is where I am focusing right now.  I want to be that positive inspiration in my boys’ lives.  As I run each night, I realize that I will have to teach them about endurance through the struggle.  Also, I may eventually have to run after them.  I’ll need to be able to run faster and farther than they will.

We are all morally responsible for setting a positive example.  The things we do, the way we treat people, or even how we live our lives are all examples for others to follow.  If we do these properly, then we will help others get inspired and stay motivated.  This is a big factor in living as a Christian. What motivates me?  Considering the fact that I attempted “to be a better person each day” as a New Years resolution and failed, I have to say God.  This Lent experience has motivated me to get active and stay committed.  It is through Lent that I can witness to others how I want to live a Christian life. 

I ran extra hard tonight.  I never stopped running or even slowed down to walk during the entire 5K.  I ran a 5K in 29:39 . . . yep, 18 seconds worse than last time.  I never said being inspired, having that extra motivation, or even remaining stoic in your commitment will automatically guarantee success.  Some setbacks are inevitable.  These are what make us stronger and encourage us try harder next time.  The important part is to find that inspiration, stay motivated, and remain stoic in your commitments.

No comments:

Post a Comment