Friday, March 11, 2011

Lent Day 1

The alarm clock makes a horrible noise at 5:45, but today I welcomed it. I got up, got dressed, and went in the living room to warm up. Before starting, I stopped to "wake up" and motivate myself. It was at that first moment it all hit me, why am I doing this? So, I started praying. Oh, that's right; to build my relationship with God. So we had some words about strength, endurance, commitment, and if I do well, there might be some physical reward for my body, my temple. I quickly realized this was not about some diet or exercise plan.
Once outside, I began thinking do I need to wear different clothes? Maybe I should go back in and change shoes? Maybe I should get my bike out instead of running? Oh wait, get moving Ben. Remember, the devil and my own laziness will try to stop me in any way possible. However, on the first trip down the dark dirt road in front of my house, I noticed a shadow of a man running. I immediately thought of that poem "Footprints" and at just that moment, my shadow disappeared.
The dogs quickly became amusing companionship. While running only inside their perimeter, they quickly met me at the other driveway on my return loop. They were just as excited to see me with every lap. Sometimes they would run past me, behind me, and even under me. Stopping they were my obstacle course. I'm training Molly to stop and let me pet her by saying "ok, pet" at which point I have to bend over, pet her, raise up, and run again. It's similar to those crunches they make you do in the military, but with a dog.
The last 10 minutes and counting down were becoming more and more difficult. Again, this is about my commitment to God through endurance, no matter what happens or how tired I get. He continues to give me strength.
After my dedicated 30 minutes, I decided it was time to go inside and wake the boys. While trying to wake Tyler I decided to do some sit ups. How many should I do? Oh, of course, 40. Wow, that is a hard number!

No comments:

Post a Comment