Friday, March 11, 2011

Lent Day 3

Ha, I fooled some of you.  The commitment is a daily thing, not a first thing every morning thing.  Now that it is day 3, I suppose I should declare to all of you who hold me accountable what my commitment involves.  I am building upon the last two years of Lent seasons.  No sodas, sweets, fried foods just like 2009.  No smoking just like 2010 (and continued).  This year, I commit to those same items, but I add another factor: a personality flaw called laziness.

Back on January 1, I made a resolution that I wanted to be a better person in every way possible.  I wanted to be a better Christian, husband, father, employee, employer, friend, and in general, I wanted to be a better person each day than I was the day before regardless of how good or bad the day had been.  Unfortunately, I see a weakness in this plan, even in myself.  It all comes down to one thing: my laziness.  If I wasn’t so lazy, I would get up and help clean the house, do that fun project with the kids, do that thing at work that I don’t feel like doing, etc . . .  I have said too many times that I am too tired or I don’t have the time or whatever other excuse I can conjure up.  The reality is that I fall victim to laziness.

The first characteristic on my list was to be a better Christian.  I figure this is the most difficult and the rest will fall into place after that one.  Therefore, I will commit to God and self for a period of 40 days to overcome this personal weakness / bad habit.  God gives us the strength and ability through our talents and gifts.  The rest of life is up to us to use them.  That is my commitment to build my relationship with God.

The easiest way for me to overcome laziness is to physically move.  The first part of this involves a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise every day regardless of how I feel or what happens in my day.   The second part involves a proper balanced diet consisting of vegetables, fruits, and protein.  Of course, proper hydration is a key element which is why I have been sucking down water like a fish.  The third part is adequate sleep.  Yep, I stayed up too late last night.

Tonight I ran.  It had gotten dark by the time I was able to change clothes and go outside.  Even though my closest neighbors are plenty of squirrels, a few foxes, many birds, and an occasion deer, I am still a city boy.  I started to run down the road away from my house and then I realized something really important; I don’t like running from anything.  I turned down the back driveway listening to my Ipod when all of a sudden there was a furious rustling of the leaves around me.  I picked up the pace instantly.  My heart raced even faster.  Then I was under the light and realized, “Man!  That is one seriously fast Mexican dog!”  Monte really likes to mess with me.  I stopped occasionally to drop and do sets of 20 push ups.  Of course, Monte had to attack me from every angel possible.  I’m starting to wonder about his sense of humor.

Christy joined me for the last 15 minutes tonight.  That was a nice treat.  We walked together toward the back of the property were the Jasmine vines are in full bloom.  The fragrance was really nice in clear night air while looking up at the stars.  I’m starting to think I might even enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment