Saturday, March 19, 2011

Lent Day 11

Discipline and temptation.  Today was a wonderful day filled with joy and happiness.  We had Blake’s birthday part with family and friends.  The weather was perfect, the scenery was great, and the food . . . well, it all looked delicious.  We had chips and dips, fruits and veggies, and yes, there was a birthday cake and ice cream . . . a huge full sheet cake specially made for my son . . . and I resisted.

Often times when a Christian has something good happen to them, they immediately think God must be blessing them.  Honestly, I am not sure about every blessing but certainly some . . . as we allow Him to work in our life.  Conversely, many Christians would say that bad things are the Devil or even that God let those things happen.  Again, I am not sure about giving the Devil that much credit, but sometimes I have to wonder.

I know that during Lent I open my heart and mind to allow God into my life more than any other time of the year.  It should go without saying that during Lent is when the Devil will try to distract me with temptation the most.  I have to wonder if it is always the Devil or maybe God is testing my faith or even something else.  What makes me really wonder is where I have seen the hardest temptations.  Christy makes my lunches each day packed with wonderful salads, fruits, and a small snack.  One day last week, she put in some yogurt covered raisins.  Oh boy they looked good and made my mouth water, but I had given up all sweets like that.  Today, I found myself surrounded by the same type of temptations.  I would have loved to have a piece of birthday cake with my son for his birthday.

It is the hardest of times that make our character the strongest.  I see temptation in many very positive environments.  My lunches are packed with love by my beautiful wife even if she slips in a forbidden treat.  I am not one of those guys who think they married the devil, so that’s can’t be it.  Having a large cake, potato chips, and even ice cream at my son’s exciting birthday party are all temptations, but these are times of love and joy.  Proving my strength and discipline during these happy times will make me stronger in every possible way.

Christy and I did 30 minutes of exercise this morning.  Christy can push me almost as hard as Monte.  I found her pace to be a little too fast for a walk, but too slow for a jog.  Good thing Monte taught me how to do that country line dance the other day.  This evening we did a double bike train ride for about an hour.  We had to hurry home because it was about to get dark.  Most importantly, we had to get home before this huge moon makes all the werewolves and weirdoes come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment