Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lent Day 12

What a beautiful weekend with 80 degree days and cool full moon nights.  I would welcome these days all year round.  Even though it has been a wonderful weekend, there is still that “work” I have to do.  I took Monte running with me tonight.  I think it’s because he’s more entertaining and well controlled on a leash; if he just didn’t have to stop for so many bathroom breaks.  The best part of tonight’s run was the last stretch up that killer hill.  I out ran Monte the entire way up the hill and into the yard.  I just kept running fast enough to keep that leash behind me.  I had to push a little faster with each step as I knew he was ready to see Molly.  That felt good . . . beating a dog.  I am man!

I heard the preacher say something at church this morning that stuck with me all day.  Side note, many things seem to be resonating with me lately.  I must be paying attention.  Anyway, he asked a question, “If we say that we can do all things through God who strengthens us, then why do we limit what He does in our lives?” 

I have pledged to God and myself to give up laziness, sweets, sodas, fried foods, beer, and many things that I deemed to be bad for me.  This sacrifice is a real challenge because I don’t allow myself to be strengthened by God all year round.  I find myself lazy in that regard.  I know I could be a better husband if I got up and did more stuff around the house.  I know I could be a better Dad if I did more things with them.  I know I could be healthier if I dieted and exercised all year round.  I know I could have a better life if I would only choose to allow God into my life all year.   I don’t do these things because . . . I’m tired, worn out, have better things to do, would rather watch that show on TV, don’t have time left in the day, just don’t feel like it, or whatever other useless excuse I can come up with.  The truth is . . . I find myself being lazy.  I can overcome this because I can do all things through Him who strengthens me, and I welcome Him into my life.

After the run each day, I have been pushing myself to do 40 sit ups and 40 push ups.  I got back to the garage tonight, grabbed my dumbbells as hand props, and started doing my 40 push ups.  Whenever I exercise, I find myself stopping at some point because I get tired or need to catch my breath or just feel like slowing down for a minute.  However, I almost never stop because I actually can not continue any further. Therefore, when I was doing those 40 push ups tonight, I refused to stop . . . 34, . . 35, . . 36, . . . . 37, . . . . 38, . . . . . . 39, . . . . . . . . . 40!!!  Wow, I kept saying to myself that I can do all things.  I honestly don’t think I could have done 41, but I certainly did get to 40 without stopping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment