Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lent Day 15

It feels good to have two weeks down.  It is amazing how quickly I have noticed a difference in myself both physically and mentally.  I have lost seven pounds in two weeks and built up endurance so much that my daily exercise feels like a normal enjoyable routine rather than hard physical labor.  My belt has been tightened two notches.  After I get done doing push ups, I have to fight Christy off of my rock hard chest. J  (I might have embellished a little there . . . but my chest is pretty firm)

Tonight is Blake’s birthday.  I was blessed this night 5 years ago with my second son.  God has been really wonderful in my life regardless of how much or little I have been committed to Him.  It is wonderful to know that God runs with us even though we forget to ask him to come along. 

After Blake opened the rest of his presents, Tyler and I went for a run.  Tyler kept asking if we could do a shorter route tonight.  I explained that we go down the road and it makes a loop; there is no short cut.  As we approached the intersection where the loop returns I asked him if he wanted to go the opposite direction.  He answered yes, because it’s getting dark.  Before it gets dark, he wants to see where those big dogs live and what they look like.  It was at that moment that I realized that he was on to my plan about making him run fast.

We did some steady jogging past where most of the dogs live and he pointed out that they were all behind fences.  When we got around to the far side, there was one yard with no fence and the two dogs were barking and coming toward us.  Of course, that only took one big yell from his Daddy in a deep commanding voice, “Scram, get out of here!” and suddenly, I was his hero.

I decided to get a little extra exercise with Tyler along.  Since Tyler’s legs are so short he says I walk too fast for a walk and too slow for a jog.  He has learned about Monte’s country line dance the hard way.  As a compromise to both of us, I decided it was time for him to ride on my back piggy back style.  I tried running like this, but he slides off too easily.  The funny part is when he is fast huffing like a dog panting on a hot summer day with each step I take.   You would have thought he was the one carrying me.

We continued on walking and jogging together the last one third.  By this time it was really dark and I had a special treat for him.  I pulled out two really bright flashlights.  He enjoyed that.  As we made our approach to the house, I began jogging, then I began running up that steep hill.  Tyler will not stay out in the dark by himself so he is going to do whatever it takes to keep up with me.  He ended up running so hard and fast . . . it was great!  He makes me proud.  After we got to the house, we walked it off for a little while.  He looked over at me and declared, “See Dad, going the other way was shorter.”

No comments:

Post a Comment