Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lent Day 19

And on the seventh day God rested . . .

Yesterday I mentioned how companionship while exercising can provide additional motivation.  That is definitely true, because the second round of exercising with my best friend didn’t even feel like exercise.  We spent all morning at the baseball park running back and forth between Blake and Tyler’s fields at opposite ends of the park, then chores around the house, then running with the dogs, and then when it was supposed to be time to relax with friends, I joyously welcomed a second run around the neighborhood with my best friend.  We jogged, talked, and even laughed, but it sure didn’t feel like exercise.  It’s amazing what a difference having a friend along can do.  Afterward, we sat around a bonfire and enjoyed good company.

This morning was dreadful.  Just before I closed my eyes last night, I realized that the alarm clock was not set to get up in time for church.  The boys, having gone to sleep at almost midnight, would be too irritable for a day of fun if we didn’t let them sleep in.  Unfortunately, my wife failed to realize what was in my head at about 8:00 this morning when she yelled for me to get up.  “Oh, my legs and lower back, what did I do to myself yesterday?”  This is different than being sore from a hefty work out, but rather . . . simply exhausted.  “Exhaustion?”  I asked myself, “How can I wake up this tired feeling?”  Surely my mind can make my body get up and get going . . . but, I couldn’t.  Could there be too much exercise?

The day will be joyful.  The weather is a perfect 76 degrees, scattered clouds, and a gentle breeze.  I really want to be outside, but I have no energy left.  We went to the State Park with a picnic lunch.  The boys played on the playground, and then we hiked the trails.  Christy and I shared the feeling of exhaustion.  However, when we have two boys that are so excited to hike the trails and see the wonders of nature, it’s hard to hold back.  It was great to be lead on by Blake and Tyler.  The companionship kept us motivated.  We pushed on as a family.  Sometimes, all it takes is that extra bit of companionship, friendship, and encouragement from someone that is excited to spend time with you. 

We stopped at the end of the trail, took our shoes off, and dipped our feet in the cool water.  It was nature’s best foot spa for our exhausted feet.  Now, it feels delightfully good to be back at home where we can relax.  We can lay around with the windows open and catch up on some needed rest.  Christy is still asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment