Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lent Day 9

Dumbbell.  Today was a long stressful day.  I try to get so much done and yet, I feel like I still didn’t get everything done.  There are those things that I really don’t want to do because they are not fun or involve people I don’t like or are just complicated.  Unfortunately, I don’t get to pick and choose what things I need to get done.  There is just so much going on in my life.  I focus on being happy and making the best of every situation.  Yet, I still feel a little like a dumbbell at the end of the day.  Yes, I get discouraged and feel like I let myself down too.

I think about the economy, politics, and world disasters going on right now.  The world is a negative, scary place.  I recognize the cultural environment we live in and realize that it could be very easy to get negative.  I choose better than that.  I choose to be alive.  I may not always be energized to my fullest potential, but I am blessed in so many ways.  I will always survive, because I will be strong.  I am not a dumbbell.

This physical strength training is mostly mental, emotional, and spiritual.  Mentally, I have to make up my mind what I am going to do.  Emotionally, I choose to be happy and enjoy the love and joy in my life.  Spiritually, I can rely on God for that extra motivation and accountability.  The physical part comes much easier when the other aspects are in balance.  Then, I will be strong!  I will feel alive!

Even still, days like today, I didn’t feel like exercising tonight.  The excuses are piling up.  We came home late and I decided to wash the Camaro so that I could stick around the house for bed time prayers with the boys.  I’d go running after they go to bed.  Well, it just got later and later, and I still didn’t want to go.  I know, I promised God that I would commit to do this every day no matter what; even if it is 11:30 at night, I’ll do it.  I’ll give up laziness.  Remember, I am strong!

Christy has been doing exercises too, but you readers don’t get to hear about that.  My friends will have to set her up with a blog and website of her own.  Today she left some wrist weights on the counter.  I picked them up and thought, “Sure, I can do that.  It’s easy.”  So Christy got me some dumbbells instead.  No problem.  Let me get going.  I am a strong man . . . with dumbbells.

So, I didn’t tell you about one aspect of running around the neighborhood in the dark last night.  I can’t see the big growling dogs that are running in the dark trees nearby.  I suppose that might have had something to do with the endurance.  Anyway, I decided to run near home and around the yard.  These dumbbells got heavy.  However, they make doing push ups so much easier.  I did 60 tonight.  I have to go weigh these dumbbells.  I could have sworn when Christy handed them to me they were about 3 or 4 pounds each.  I guess they soak up sweat or something, because when I finished, they were about 20 pounds each.  Stupid dumbbells.

No comments:

Post a Comment